Monday, March 23, 2009

Henry, Henry, Henry

Hey, lovely loves. Kara here again.

I'm really inspired to bring you our newest Challenge, and a different kind of Guest Designer.... :P It's a bit unusual, but bear with me here! :)

I happened upon the work of Henry Darger a few weeks ago from the Black Apple's fashion blog.

I go through phases where I'm obsessed with insane artists and people, it's just one of my weird quirks. My fascinati
on is a bit morbid, but ah well, haha.

About Henry Darger-

Henry Joseph Darger, Jr. was a reclusive American writer and artist who worked as a janitor in Chicago, Illinois. He has become famous for his posthumously discovered 15,145-page, single-spaced fantasy manuscript called The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, along with several hundred drawings and watercolor paintings illustrating the story.

(from wikipedia)

I recommend reading the entire entry about Henry Darger on Wikipedia. I am so intrigued with his work and totally blown away just searching for more examples.

To get all in the mood and inspired for this challenged I watched this documentary by Jessica Yu. I loved it! I made my bestie watch it with me and it was great, but, I am such a sucker for documentaries anyways.


So. A little Henry Darger inspired art journal page. :) (examples)

So. Link us up. Do some artwork inspired by the colors or his words. Go crazy! :)

More Henry Darger----




2 comments:

bethchien said...

Girl...I love it!! It IS quirky and unique and that's why I love it!!
This will be fun~!
Great project, Kara!

Elaine said...

Here's my take! It was very challenging to channel my inner Hanry, but I finally acheived it by creating my own designs on paper, doodling was a lot of fun! The little scales reminded my of Henry's work!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keread/3408097815/in/pool-work-your-soul